Sunday, January 30, 2011

What is Spirituality?

January 29th 2011
“The Art, which fits such a being to fulfill his high destiny, is the first and noblest of arts Human Culture is the art of revealing to a man the true Idea of his Being-his endowments-his possessions-and of fitting him to these for the growth, renewal, and the perfection of his Spirit”
Amos Bronson Alcott, p 69
What I find interesting is this quote’s relation Thoreau’s writing. While Thoreau blatantly denies the cultural beliefs and practices of society, Alcott embraces them. I find this statement somewhat comforting and it relieves the mini identity crisis Thoreau’s writing gave me. I am such an embodiment and product of my culture and the way I have interpreted Alcott has made this okay. What I find even more moving is the fact that Alcott calls this the noblest of arts. I find that culture is more often condemned rather than embraced, let alone thought to bring spiritual peace. At the same time this quote is comforting, it is disappointing.
Alcott’s idea about what defines a man sprouts contradictory responses for me. It is slightly disturbing that the possessions I earn, like my laptop and cell phone, are what define my spirit. This is definitely the age of technology , meaning the daily technology we are obsessed with However, I don’t think my typing on this laptop is some sort of religious experience or way to help refine my spirit. I really don’t associate buying possessions or searching for my “inner being” as an art form. I find it more of a quest or the essential struggle of humanity. I feel that my actions towards other human beings and nature should be what decide my spiritual being. Whether or not I own an iPod does isn’t really related to my spirit. At the same time I think Alcott has shown great insight into what defines a man. Anthropologically speaking, culture affects all aspects of life. My taste in furniture is a reflection of the conditions and beliefs I was raised with. It is fascinating how different people can be in different places. I don’t think it is an art of revealing. It’s human nature to develop cultural guideline. It is how society learns to functions.
This has prompted me to question, or ponder rather, my beliefs about spirituality. I do not consider myself a very spiritual person. I was raised Catholic, but abandoned those beliefs during puberty. I don’t associate myself with any particular organized religion or set of beliefs. So now I have no particular structure to what I should follow in order to find any spirituality within myself. So now I have another, although significantly smaller, identity crisis. What exactly does a “higher power” mean? Is it important to believe in one? What exactly does a higher power do? Also, many representations of higher power are usually a man. Why not a woman? Furthermore is the “higher power” within myself?
I think nature and spirituality should go hand in hand. Spirituality should be found on a personal journey. I think this is where Thoreau was correct. It is hard to find one’s inner being and self worth with the distractions of culture. Although the “nothing” exercise was tortuous, it also opened up doors to my mind and made me slow down and think about the world and things. I feel that if I did that more in life I would be able to have a fuller understanding of myself in relation to the society that I am consumed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment