Sunday, March 20, 2011

Beth Lives On!

I would argue that Beth is one of the strongest female characters in American literature. While I know she has been the subject of ridicule in our class discussions, I think a lot can be learned from her and that she shouldn’t simply be passed off as “weak” and “under-developed.”

One of the main details that made me regard Beth as a strong female character was the fact that Jo, who many consider to be the strongest of the novel, looks to her younger sister for courage and support. Specifically, I am recalling the part in the novel when Beth secretly reads the poem Jo wrote for her. “Give me, for I need it sorely, of that courage, wise and sweet… Give me that unselfish nature, that with charity devine can pardon wrong for love’s dear sake—meek heart, forgive me mine” (Alcott 401)! Here, Jo shares that she is baffled and inspired by Beth’s uncommon acceptance of death. This is an interesting moment, because for most of the novel Jo feels as if it is her duty to give Beth strength and courage. Now, in Beth’s darkest hour, it is Jo who ironically needs guidance. Who amongst us can say they’re not afraid of death? Now I don’t want to paint Beth as a closet badass (although she would be a great choice to star alongside Sylvester Stallone in some action flick). But I would stress the similarities that Beth shares with Jesus, as Jo indirectly recalls. While I am not religious and don’t want to present a single perception of Beth, I do think Alcott intended there to be some connection.

Although this idea is still in development, I think I liked Beth because I read her through the lens of disability studies. While Beth was not born with any physical disability, she was never truly recovered from her battle with scarlet fever. I don’t see Beth’s (arguable) desire to die as a weakness because I think she was being perfectly realistic. Since I Have worked with and read about people that from a wide range of developmental disabilities and inherited illnesses, Beth’s desire to die seems a bit more understandable to me. I am not necessarily condoning assisted suicide; I merely am recognizing the fact that some people are reminded of their fragile mortality every single day and thus some can wish for both the suffering to end and for perhaps a better existence afterward. While advanced medicine and therapy has helped people live easier and longer lives, they by no means have eliminated extreme suffering and mental strain. I do think Beth was a character purposely shrouded by ambiguity because Alcott was having difficulty comprehending her own sister’s untimely death. Perhaps Beth, like Alcott’s sister Elizabeth, was still suffering from symptoms of scarlet fever that were not easily treatable in the 19th century.

“Then I don’t feel as if I’d wasted my life. I’m not so good as you make me, but I have tried to do right; and now, when it’s too late to begin even to do better, it’s such a comfort to know that someone loves me so much, feels as if I’d helped them” (Alcott 402). This quote from Beth is self-explanatory and pretty much sums up why I admire her, and why I think Jo aspires to be a better person and stronger character as the novel progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment