Monday, February 28, 2011

What a feeling.

"Ellen leaned her arms on the window-sill, and tasted the morning air; almost wondering at its sweetness and at the loveliness of field and sky and the bright eastern horizon" (Warner, 158).

So in class today, I pointed out this passage as one of my favorite in the book. I wanted to talk about it more here because I wanted to talk about why I particularly adore this passage (in a transcendentalist sense).

I feel as though Warner has aptly put into words my most favorite feeling in the entire world.

Regardless of date, or weather, or general moods, I often have these moments where I stop whatever it is I'm doing, take a deep breath, and just appreciate how fantastic and beautiful our earth is.

I'm sure this has happened to each of you before. You're driving in your car, playing some music and singing along, and you cross over a bridge to see a tangerine sunset in the horizon and you think, "Holy crap, the world is freaking beautiful."

Ellen, in her own way, has these moments too. Throughout the book Ellen sees nature and the earth as a beautiful creation of God. While I may not be religious, I can appreciate the idea of creationism. Whoever made this earth, whether it was a God or merely millions of years of evolution, they did a damn good job.

This habit or perception is probably one of my most transcendental. I say that because unlike yoga or meditation, which are based on the decision to act, my (let's call them) Nature Revelations are naturally occurring. They are triggered by real sights, real moments, unforced and captivating and wholefully delicious.

Like a small child tasting candy for the first time, I crave these moments. Whenever I am feeling stressed out, our overwhelmed, or just generally unhappy, I like to either hop in my car or go on a walk to a nearby beach or city overlook or something, anything really, that will trigger this flood of happiness.

It's my natural drug of choice. Thoreau would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment